Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Credit Review Examiner, Associate
at MUFG Americas
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 10023737-WD-SECONDARY-45
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG), one of the world's largest financial groups, with total assets of approximately $2.8 trillion (as of December 2017) and about 150,000 colleagues in more than 50 countries. In the U.S., we're more than 14,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that's working to fulfill its vision to be the world's most trusted financial group.
Credit Review is a key department within MUFG's third line of defense. Our mission is to provide executive management and the Board of Directors with an independent view of asset quality and credit risk management practices across all businesses or functions that create or manage credit exposure. The team is comprised of seasoned risk management professionals with deep credit analysis and transaction skills across wholesale and investment banking, capital markets, commercial, and consumer banking domains.
Credit Review is a global function with four primary hub locations in London, Tokyo, Singapore and New York. Each location operates as a standalone department covering its respective geographic region with dual accountability to local legal entity Board committees as well as to global Credit Review department leadership in Tokyo.
TheAssociate Credit Review Examiner positionresides within the Americas Credit Review (ACR) department which provides coverage for credit exposure originated or managed in the United States, Canada and Latin America. The position being offered may be located in our New York, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Los Angeles, CA, or San Francisco, CA offices.
The incumbent will be responsible for conducting comprehensive assessments of Business Units' credit risk management practices by evaluating, monitoring and reporting on asset quality and the effectiveness of their processes to control credit, trading and associated credit concentration risks. This will include but is not limited to evaluating the depth, accuracy and timeliness of the Business Unit's credit analyses, risk ratings and regulatory classifications, adherence to MUFG's policies, procedures and underwriting guidelines, ongoing credit surveillance activities, and problem loan management activities. The candidate will report findings to ACR and Business Unit senior management on both an examination basis as well as through continuous monitoring activities for the candidate's assigned portfolio(s).
Risk Evaluation & Monitoring (REM)
- Participate in credit review examinations, analyze individual credits and/or credit relationships, adherence to approval conditions, accuracy of risk grading and adequacy and accuracy of documentation. Analyze financial statement trends, projections and research industry to identify potential risk within portfolios.
- Prepare timely, concise reports which articulate appropriate risk management ratings and significant issues observed. Follow up with the Business Unit management for satisfactory completion of outstanding issues raised by internal and external examiners.
- Prepare periodic Risk Profile & Monitoring Plans for assigned portfolio(s) to outline key risk factors and allocate appropriate resources to monitoring those risks. Identify and evaluate the effectiveness of credit risk process controls.
- Develop dynamic, ongoing and risk based monitoring and examination programs. Monitor risk asset portfolios to identify deterioration or negative management control trends and review compliance with policies, guidelines and regulations.
- Evaluate MIS data and identify adverse trends of leading and lagging performance indicators.
- Write high quality, concise and informative reports following ACR report standards and guidelines for senior management and internally to support REM results and examination findings.
- Maintain effective and open communication with internal and external bank line and staff personnel. Provide technical guidance to units on credit policies and control procedures.
- Keep ACR management informed on degree of risk in various portfolios, particularly the more complex and/or specialized portfolios. Clearly communicate sensitive issues at the highest level of bank management.
- Promote teamwork within ACR, as well as with other bank units. Foster collaborative working relationships with lending unit management and Credit Administration.
- Contribute to special projects as needed.
- A BA or BS degree; MBA or other advanced degree or certification is a plus.
- 5-7 years of experience in the banking industry or credit-related fields; prior lending, credit risk management, credit review, regulatory supervision, or similar experience strongly preferred.
- Strong credit/financial statement analysis skills, a solid understanding of business and financial markets and the effects of economic conditions on the Bank's risk assets.
- Ability to analyze portfolio trends at a macro level, identifying signs of changing risk levels and/or symptoms of process control breakdowns.
- Broad knowledge of corporate finance concepts and theories, industry credit processes, lending policies, current financial and regulatory environments, and risk management techniques.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to interact effectively with unit managers, lending officers, unit support staff, credit administrators and all levels of ACR and bank management.
- Strong attention to detail and high commitment to quality.
- Willingness to travel 10-20% if needed.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!