Credit Union of Colorado
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Member Solutions Supervisor (72302)
at Credit Union of Colorado
General Purpose of the Position
Under the direction of the Member Solutions Manager, directs and coordinates daily activities of department personnel. Oversees collection personnel and collection of delinquent accounts. Serves as back up to the Member Solutions Manager. Counsels members whose difficult loan accounts (Consumer, Visa and Mortgage) are past due. Safeguards the assets of the credit union and arranges for liquidation of balances through payments, collection, loan modifications, workout loans, repossessions, bankruptcies, etc. Determines risk exposure to the credit union and keeps management informed. Is responsible for the guidance, training, coaching and direction of Member Solutions staff. Assists with reporting and compliance issues and administrative duties by performing the following essential duties. Representative must be knowledgeable in all areas of credit union operations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. May perform other duties as requested or assigned.
- Organizes collection workload according to days delinquent, risk and amount of delinquency and assigns accounts to employees for collection. Determines work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites collection workflow.
- Provides financial counseling to members in financial hardship, recommends workout loans, recommends repossession assignments or legal actions, and assists subordinates with collection activities on difficult or problematic accounts according to Collection Policy and Guidelines. Keeps management informed of critical issues and risk exposure.
- Audits delinquent accounts considered to be uncollectible to ensure maximum efforts have been taken before assigning bad debt status to account. Reviews collection reports to ascertain status of collections and balances outstanding and to evaluate effectiveness of current collection policies and procedures.
- Supervises and provides leadership to coordinate activities of staff and monitors staff progress, expectations and ensures that staff expectations are met regarding policies and procedures. Coaches appropriately to ensure optimal performance, holds staff meetings, recommends and documents changes to procedures and processes if needed.
- Resolves complaints, adjusts errors and answers questions and problems promptly. Provides excellent service by demonstrating courtesy and personal concern for members and co-workers needs and follows-up to ensure those needs are met.
- Optimizes collections on accounts while balancing the goodwill of members with the overall business interests of the credit union.
- Oversees and monitors delinquent accounts that are assigned to collection agencies and/or attorneys for collection.
- Prepares and effectively submits required reports, attends meetings, assists in budget preparation and adherence, and recommends cost/time savings measures for the department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the credit union's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include
- interviewing, hiring, training, coaching, employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance of department personnel; rewarding and disciplining employees;
- addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Adheres to all Federal and State laws and regulations applicable to the credit union, including the Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC, FACT Act, and the US Bankruptcy Code, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Responsible for compliance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACTA), the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and the Anti Money Laundering Act, including monitoring for such illegal activity as it applies to this position.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or three to four years related supervisory and collection experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Knowledge of collection procedures and related laws and regulations. Ability to evaluate different types of critical collection problems and react with a high degree of judgment. Understanding of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and knowledge of laws concerning credit extension and collection practices. Understanding of Credit Union loan products and policies. Familiar with default and enforcement clauses. Familiar with deposit programs, account ownership, and casualty insurance. Demonstrated effective supervisory and leadership skills to select, motivate and develop assigned personnel. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other administrative officials and the public. Ability to apply oral and interpersonal skills that develop member confidence, respect and trust in Credit Union of Colorado and develop cooperative relationships with all levels of people throughout the organization. Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting credit union policies and procedures. Ability to utilize credit bureau information, file information and previous contact information.
DIRECT REPORTS: Senior Member Solutions Specialist, Member Solutions Specialist
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is typically required to sit for long periods. The employee continually is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop and reach with hands and arms. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Limited travel required to visit CU locations as needed.
Seeks and uses first-hand member information to improve products and services. Acts with the member in mind. Is never satisfied.
COOPERATION AND TEAM WORK
Can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations. Blends people into teams when needed and leverages individuals’ strengths. Willing to balance support for organizational initiatives over own department needs. Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully.
Conveys a sense of urgency for arriving at a decision, when appropriate. Has an opinion, takes a stand. Is able to build upon other’s ideas and facts to form a better decision.
Seeks opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems while prioritizing urgent issues. Brings issues to closure. Challenges and supports decisions of direct reports through coaching to the best outcome.
Overcomes procrastination through execution. Places a top priority on getting results.
Embraces and drives change. Assists others through transitioning to a new state. Is self-aware of areas of opportunity and strengths.
Creates an environment that encourages innovative solutions or improvements and fosters experimentation for the benefit of the members. Recognizes and rewards those who take initiative with new approaches and act in a creative manner. Assesses, manages and takes calculated risks to achieve goals. Constantly looks for ways to improve products, processes and infrastructure of the organization to enhance employee and member benefit. Stays abreast of current and future trends both in and outside of industry to forecast and build future business vision including on-going evaluation of future directions and associated risks.
Thinks/plans strategically. Understands the organization’s vision, mission, and goals and can articulate to others. Defines/owns vision/purpose and aligns ideas to inspire others to follow. Looks to the future and adjusts strategic actions and goals based on anticipated future state.